Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
(Proverbs 22:6)

Wednesday 12 February 2014

The Best You Can Give?



The last day of this week at school will be February 14th. It’s Valentine’s Day! My students are looking forward to that day excitedly. As I had planned before, yesterday I gave my student a one-night writing assignment. I asked them to write something to someone who they love so much. They could write to their mom or dad, brother or sister, friend or best friend, boyfriend or girlfriend, teacher or someone else. I asked them to write to show their love. They would do it at home. They had to write on a piece of paper. They could type and print it, or if they wanted to be original, they could write using their own handwriting. I told them that everybody would get good score if they wrote with love.



This morning they had to submit the assignment. And it made me shocked! Most of them used their handwriting, but it wasn’t because they tried to be original. They didn’t make enough effort to finish the assignment. Some students did it in the classroom, and they did it without thinking deeply of the addressee – the one they love so much.



I asked my students, “What will you give to someone you love on Valentine’s Day?” Some of them were not confident to give an answer, but one of them answered, “Chocolate!”

Then I asked him, “How much will you spend for the chocolate?”

“I don’t know. It depends on the money that I have.”

“Well, now check the money that you have this week. So you can decide how much you will spend for it.”

“I’ll spend one hundred thousand rupiahs.”

“Is it the best you can give?”

“Yes, Sir.”

Then I said, “Imagine…if in the morning on Valentine’s Day you find this paper on your table. What do you feel?” I showed them a piece of test paper. “Do you feel that the sender really loves you? Is this the best that you can do for the one you love so much?” And then I showed them a piece of nice paper with some decoration on it. “How do you feel if you receive this? Are they different?”

When you want to show your love to someone, do and give your best, although it’s just a simple thing you can give.

Have a lovely Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment