Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
(Proverbs 22:6)

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Cruel Parents

It was Tuesday. I met one of my student's mom. I had to meet her because her son had made a 'dangerous' foul. She told me that she wanted her son to get very good scores in every lesson. To achieve it, she had sent her son to a 'school-like' course. Everyday--Monday to Friday, the son had to go to school from 7 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and then he had to attend the course - which has the same subjects and materials as the school has - from 3 p.m. to 7 or 8 p.m.
He's a very very very unlucky student.
His parents focus only on his academic achievement. What kind of learning does this student experience? And what responsibilities does he have besides study and study and study the subjects whose scores will be written on the report sheets?
I feel so sad to find that one (but I'm sure there are so many) of my students has no responsibility at home (and he brings it to school). I feel so sad to find that what stay in his mind are only good scores and good scores and good scores.
So now parents, let's educate our children in a balance between their academic achievements and their life-skills. Extraordinary academic achievement without good life-skills is nothing in the real life.

1 comment:

  1. all of my thumbs up !!!
    I love this part : ,,And what responsibilities does he have besides study and study and study the subjects whose scores will be written on the report sheets?''

    ReplyDelete